General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Is that Sep a Brazilian OG?

@Mateo - I wish, but the Metal Blade repress from 2014 sounds pretty good to me.

Oh, I'm sure it does. It might be better for all I know. I just thought if there was someone with an OG, it'd likely be you.
By J.R.
#112109 I decided I needed something Peppy and uplifting before work, so I just listened to Coven's Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Should and The Ruins of Beverast's Rain Upon the Impure.

HANG ON... these aren't peppy and uplifting: Im going back to bed!
By J.R.
#112367 whilst looking for the Under the Covers box set by Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet, I came across an amazing double album called 'Eighties Alternative' which features the like of Dead or Alive, Bronski Beat, Scritti Politti Bauhaus, Bow Wow Wow, Haysi Fantasy, Gary Numan and heaps of others and its fucking amazing.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:Image

One of my faves along with Tim's Guaraldi spin in the OST thread. What a great start to the season lads.
By inksb
#112654 Looks pretty sweet @jimmy_mike

I think I bought my first vaporwave release recently as well, is WINDOWS彡96 considered vaporwave? I grabbed the new Unfortunate Face release of GRADIENT HORIZONT. I honestly have been listening to stuff in the genre with out knowing it was a genre for a while.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:My first vaporwave pickup:

A damn fine place to start. Did you get the Plus100 or the Geometric Lullaby edition?

inksb wrote:Looks pretty sweet @jimmy_mike

I think I bought my first vaporwave release recently as well, is WINDOWS彡96 considered vaporwave? I grabbed the new Unfortunate Face release of GRADIENT HORIZONT. I honestly have been listening to stuff in the genre with out knowing it was a genre for a while.

I'm not sure if Gradient Horizont is what most purists would consider vaporwave or not, but at the least it's vaporwave adjacent. And it's a pretty good album to boot.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:@mateo what would your recommend as the your favorites of the genre or at least regarded classics?

On wax? There are a lot of recent albums getting pressed and on Qrates right now, but the "classics" as you say are few and far between. Off the top of my head, the ones that are out there that I'd recommend are as follows (in no particular order):

Mac Plus - Floral Shoppe
Catsystem Corp - Palm Mall, Shopping @ Helsinki, Hiraeth
Vaperror - Mana Pool
Surfing - Deep Fantasy
2814 - s/t, Birth of a New Day
St Pepsi & Luxury Elite - Late Night Delight
St Pepsi - Hit Vibes
II nothing ll - Modern Living
Tanning Salon - Dream Castle

Some of these, like Tanning Salon and the 2814s, are more vapor ambient and Surfing is almost like a vapor indie band. There is also some future funk stuff that's very popular right now, but I don't think of it as vaporwave though they often get lumped in together. Of course, there are loads more great albums on cassette and digital but that's a different story. Hope that helps.
By Jimmy_Mike
Mateo Sanboval wrote:[A damn fine place to start. Did you get the Plus100 or the Geometric Lullaby edition?

@mateo - Always chasing that pink ;)

@ink - Check out US Golf 95 - Dream Course:

https://usgolf95.bandcamp.com/album/dreamcourse
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:[A damn fine place to start. Did you get the Plus100 or the Geometric Lullaby edition?

@mateo - Always chasing that pink ;)

@ink - Check out US Golf 95 - Dream Course:

https://usgolf95.bandcamp.com/album/dreamcourse

Nice recommendation. US Golf 95's Self titled is also excellent and available on LP at reasonable prices on the secondary market. I picked mine up for $20.
By NathanLurker
#112670 Image
SIXX
"Sister Devil"
the members of black metal band VON did this demo of gothic darkwave, minimal, repetitive (in a good way) and cult.

MORTIIS
"The Smell of Rain"
From the dark dungeon synth artist Mortiis, who was once a bassist for emperor, and followed his lo fi medieval fantasy synths albums with this first album of strange gothic industrial pop darkwave. I love this album, there's nothing quite like it.