General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
#106507 This is unofficial but sounds really terrific. Definitely a soundboard audio and pressed well. Managed to navigate through a random Greek record store website to find a copy.
Attachments
IMG_20180705_153347492.jpg
By inksb
#106678 So my main amp was back in the shop for about a month, they could not reproduce the issue so nothing was done to it, with in 3 hours of using it the issue came back. Extremely annoyed with the situation but hey when it works, it sounds incredible and I'm glad to have it back since my temp Yamaha is pretty weak. I got home and with in 2 minutes Blood Feast was showing dominance of the amp.

I picked this up. Jim James of My Morning Jacket, new solo album. It is easily his best solo outing and the most classic MMJ sounding album since It Still Moves. A fuzzed out rock trio having fun.

And then on Sunday I was feeling in the mood for some Gram Parsons, I listened to GP, Grievous Angel and then I put on Sweetheart of the Rodeo for a few rotations. Always forget how much I love this one.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:So my main amp was back in the shop for about a month, they could not reproduce the issue so nothing was done to it, with in 3 hours of using it the issue came back. Extremely annoyed with the situation but hey when it works, it sounds incredible and I'm glad to have it back since my temp Yamaha is pretty weak. I got home and with in 2 minutes Blood Feast was showing dominance of the amp.

I picked this up. Jim James of My Morning Jacket, new solo album. It is easily his best solo outing and the most classic MMJ sounding album since It Still Moves. A fuzzed out rock trio having fun.

And then on Sunday I was feeling in the mood for some Gram Parsons, I listened to GP, Grievous Angel and then I put on Sweetheart of the Rodeo for a few rotations. Always forget how much I love this one.

1. Is your cat truly named Blood Feast? Because that is...just...wow.
2. High praise for that Yim Yames LP. I kind of gave up on him a while back, but It Still Moves is a bit of an all-timer.
3. GP in general, and Sweetheart specifically, is as good as it gets. So very much of what has come since, including the aforementioned It Still Moves, likely wouldn't be without Sweetheart.
By bpwlogan
#106711 Nice spin on Sweetheart inksb. That album seems to get overlooked when Parsons body of work is mentioned. I always thought it stands right there with his finest work as a solo artist or with The Flying Burrito Brothers. I love the first couple of MMJ albums so I'll have to check out some of Jim James solo work.
By Mateo Sanboval
bpwlogan wrote:Nice spin on Sweetheart inksb. That album seems to get overlooked when Parsons body of work is mentioned. I always thought it stands right there with his finest work as a solo artist or with The Flying Burrito Brothers. I love the first couple of MMJ albums so I'll have to check out some of Jim James solo work.

I wonder if that's because you can't hear his voice on it. Outside of the deluxe CD versions of course.
By bpwlogan
#106721 ^ Yeah, the deluxe CD is the way to go for sure. I have an old Columbia pressing that only has his vocals on two tracks. I believe the other three or four tracks that Gram sang the lead on were edited out and replaced by McGuinn for whatever reason. I do see new pressings on vinyl of this in the record store from time to time. Wonder what variations of the songs you get on these new editions.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
1. Is your cat truly named Blood Feast? Because that is...just...wow.
2. High praise for that Yim Yames LP. I kind of gave up on him a while back, but It Still Moves is a bit of an all-timer.
3. GP in general, and Sweetheart specifically, is as good as it gets. So very much of what has come since, including the aforementioned It Still Moves, likely wouldn't be without Sweetheart.

1. Haha, yes my cats name is Blood Feast but it's a bit of a mouthful so we call him Beast for short.
2. Yeah, I was floored by Jims new album. I knew it was coming out in June but didn't really pay attention, it showed up in the new release section of my Google Music account and I gave it a listen. Probably listened to it 5 times that day and every day the following week. It's the first Jim LP I've actually bought outside of his original Tribute To LP. I own all of MMJ's stuff on vinyl but found my interest in new studio stuff waning around Circuital, both that one and The Waterfall have some good songs on them I don't revisit very often. At Dawn has and always will be my favorite from them. But do yourself a favor and listen to this one when you get a chance. It's great.
3. Gram is the reason we have bands like Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, MMJ, Jayhawks, Old 97's, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, etc. He's the grandfather of Alt Country. I always loved the Whiskeytown version of A Song For You. And Emmylou's backing vocals on GP are incredible.

bpwlogan wrote: I love the first couple of MMJ albums so I'll have to check out some of Jim James solo work.

Jim's first solo release I really like which was a 6 song acoustic tribute to George Harrison, titled Tribute To. His first solo album, Regions of Light and Sound of God, I just couldn't get into, he was really into electronic music at the time and just didn't work for me. His follow up to that which came out in 2016, Eternally Even, was much more interesting. It's kind of a funk soul album and while not a classic it's well worth a listen. The new one Uniform Distortion is great and I think his best solo outing so far. He also did another cover album last year called Tribute To 2, it had some nice renditions of a few songs but it's nothing special.
By Mateo Sanboval
#106723 @BPW - If memeory serves, Gram was still under contract with some Northeastern small timer that had him and the rest of The International Submarine Band locked into an airtight contract. So when Gram heeded McGuinn and Hillman's siren call, The Byrds' label fought and lost to have his vocals appear on the LP. That's why those "alt" takes are so crucial. We get to hear Gram finding his canyon country voice.

@Inks - Tribute To is a good record. Fair point you. I would say that while Gram deservedly gets the 'godfather' title, McGuinn and Hillman had a lot to do with seeding modern Alt Country. While few embodied the spirit (nor had the raw ability) the way Gram did, those guys had the original vision. What an amazing time that must've been.
By jgibbs4053
#106740 This week at Wax and Wine is “E” so I brought The Eurythmics. Luckily I get to introduce everyone here to Frizzi when we come to “F”
Attachments
BEFF783E-4E10-46E3-8F03-221C4878B554.jpeg
By Mateo Sanboval
#106998 STBC Late Nite Confessions:

I've never heard Avalon. None of it. Not one bar. Not on purpose; just one of those things.
By Chuggers
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Image
Alessandro Cortini - Forse 1 / 2 / 3

Mateo, that Forse set... I've only been able to get my hands on vol II....been waiting to spin until I've got the full set.....
By Mateo Sanboval
Chuggers wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Image
Alessandro Cortini - Forse 1 / 2 / 3

Mateo, that Forse set... I've only been able to get my hands on vol II....been waiting to spin until I've got the full set.....

I feel you, Chuggs. I got them when they first came out, but not because I was particularly hip to Cortini or anything; they were just a strong recommend from a trusted ear. That said, 2 is probably my least favorite but by no means bad. In fact, it's quite good. I just prefer my drones a bit more ambient than noisy. That said, they all get a regular workout.
By Chuggers
#107125 I'm in the same boat, musically. Maybe that's why 2 was still readily available when I started looking...a little harsh noise used to set it off for me, now I find myself preferring music to drift off to....Avanti really turned me on to his solo work, either through so many end of the year lists or someone's recommendations right here. May have been the weekly recommendation on the Mondo newsletter??