General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
#110741 Tell us about these, Jimmy? Love cover number two.

I'm playing lossless files of The Buddy Collette Septet's Polynesia. It's jazz and it's exotica and it's glorious. I'd buy the LP but...well...good luck.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Never heard of it. Been listening to youtube, great stuff

Nice! Its a rare beauty.
By Jimmy_Mike
#110749 @mateo - first one is some funky French goodness, nice vocals

second one is GoGo Penguin from Manchester - stumbled across their tiny desk the other day and was blown away:

By Jimmy_Mike
#110751 @mateo - after a little digging, I just learned that GoGo is touring a new live score to Koyaanisqatsi right now.

The more you know...
By Mateo Sanboval
#110754 Hey, they've got a pretty cool sound. And perfectly suited for a Cascadian winter to boot. Plus the whole Koyaanisqatsi thing kind of puts it over the top. Will likely check this out.
By milliondollars
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I'm playing lossless files of The Buddy Collette Septet's Polynesia. It's jazz and it's exotica and it's glorious. I'd buy the LP but...well...good luck.

how in the hell do you know about this record?? have not played this for ages. it ranks very high in my exotica section...

20181021_204545_resized.jpg
By abedunk
#110759 BIG love for GoGo Penguin! Though we couldn't get video that day, I hosted the Machester trio for a live performance of 3 songs (and a brief interview) on KNKX 88.5fm in Tacoma/Seattle last year. Helluva band. (the "untitled" song from the session is "Transient State" from their new album A Humdrum Star)

http://www.knkx.org/post/gogo-penguin-pushes-piano-trio-beyond-jazz
By Mateo Sanboval
milliondollars wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I'm playing lossless files of The Buddy Collette Septet's Polynesia. It's jazz and it's exotica and it's glorious. I'd buy the LP but...well...good luck.

how in the hell do you know about this record?? have not played this for ages. it ranks very high in my exotica section...

20181021_204545_resized.jpg

Millie, I don't say this lightly but I do say it with love in my heart...fuck you.

I've lusted after this puppy for years. Never seen anything but destroyed copies go up for sale. Two have sold on Discogs for reasonable rates in the past year or so yet, in spite of alerts and frequent check-ins, I wasn't aware of them in real time.

I'll just say that of all the LPs you've posted, and there have been many that I've had green eyes for, this one takes the cake. Big time. My hat's off to you.

Begrudgingly.

PS - I know about it because I'm a huge exotica fan. It's an all-time great. Probably top five. On the real.
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote:BIG love for GoGo Penguin! Though we couldn't get video that day, I hosted the Machester trio for a live performance of 3 songs (and a brief interview) on KNKX 88.5fm in Tacoma/Seattle last year. Helluva band. (the "untitled" song from the session is "Transient State" from their new album A Humdrum Star)

http://www.knkx.org/post/gogo-penguin-pushes-piano-trio-beyond-jazz

Abe! Representing the 253!!
By milliondollars
#110775 your soul-stirring 'fuck you' between like-minded collectors was gladly and warmly received @Mateo!

that Polynesia is a good one indeed! such an odd album. so haunting, so mystical. almost unreal. who was it made for??

managed to get something what looks like a unplayed copy a few years ago.

really great to hear you are a sucker for exotica records. would be great to see you some spins in here...
By texasvinyl
#111665 I love how the first ten seconds of this record really punches you in the face with the Coltrane changes. Naima is one of my favorite tunes. I need to spend some time tracking down a good mono copy. I am listening on headphones, and this stereo mix is super annoying with horn and piano in my left ear and drums and bass in my right. Such an unnatural mix hard panned like that.
Attachments
IMG_20181112_220850005.jpg
By jgibbs4053
#111723 I’ve mentioned on STBC in the past that I go to a Wax & Wine night every Wednesday. Some weeks they pick a theme. Next week will be jazz fusion. I have no clue what jazz fusion is. Anyone know any scores that are considered jazz fusion?
By deafmetal
jgibbs4053 wrote:I’ve mentioned on STBC in the past that I go to a Wax & Wine night every Wednesday. Some weeks they pick a theme. Next week will be jazz fusion. I have no clue what jazz fusion is. Anyone know any scores that are considered jazz fusion?

I'm no expert, but somebody on the interweb claims these two qualify:

By Mateo Sanboval
#111726 Pat Matheny's The Falcon And The Snowman score is another sterling example and an overlooked classic.
By Hatter313
#111728 Do we think Naked Lunch is too out of the box for that? I feel like I could stretch the definition to include Naked Lunch, hell maybe even some twin peaks, especially when Angelo gets really loungey in FWWM.

And yeah definitely the above mentioned for sure. Shifrins score to enter the dragon might be a nice contender as well.

And taxi driver.

Fusion can be a wide tent, and I’d say all of these could qualify, but some might be a little slow or moody for what the night is looking for, or it might be EXACTLY what the night is looking for.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:Do we think Naked Lunch is too out of the box for that? I feel like I could stretch the definition to include Naked Lunch, hell maybe even some twin peaks, especially when Angelo gets really loungey in FWWM.

And yeah definitely the above mentioned for sure. Shifrins score to enter the dragon might be a nice contender as well.

And taxi driver.

Fusion can be a wide tent, and I’d say all of these could qualify, but some might be a little slow or moody for what the night is looking for, or it might be EXACTLY what the night is looking for.

Personally, I'd lean free jazz with Naked Lunch and jazz funk with Enter the Dragon. I can see it with Taxi Driver but I'm not sure I feel it. But I mean I totally feel it; it's one of my all-time favorite scores.

On second thought, I think Taxi Driver can comfortably fit here. It doesn't have the traditional ECM fusion "sound" but it does have something a little more smooth and alluring than a straight jazz funk experience.