A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl, The Cult Leader

By ChrisMcQueen007
#97173 Image

Been a loong time since I watched this for the last (probably the first) time. Was not too impressed back then but somehow this stuck with me. So now I'm revisiting this via the 88 films blue ray.

In any case someone needs to put out the Brad Fiedel score - haunting and beautiful.
By Mateo Sanboval
#97175 Chris, I just watched this this morning! And agreed on the score; it's great stuff.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Chris, I just watched this this morning! And agreed on the score; it's great stuff.

Ha, what a coincidence! :)

Enjoyed it a lot this time around.
By Mateo Sanboval
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Chris, I just watched this this morning! And agreed on the score; it's great stuff.

Ha, what a coincidence! :)

Enjoyed it a lot this time around.

Agreed and it was a slower burn than I recalled as well.
By monsterworship
#97186 I've probably mentioned this 100x elsewhere already. Just Before Dawn was one of the earliest projects that I tried to work on.

I had contacted Brad Fiedel, he does not have any original masters for this project being that it was his first score.
So unless it turns up elsewhere it is doubtful this will every see sunrise :)
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:I've probably mentioned this 100x elsewhere already. Just Before Dawn was one of the earliest projects that I tried to work on.

I had contacted Brad Fiedel, he does not have any original masters for this project being that it was his first score.
So unless it turns up elsewhere it is doubtful this will every see sunrise :)

Ah, bummer.

PS - I see what you did there.
By J.R.
#97256 I decided my website needed more exploitation/ sexploitation so this morning I watched The Cheerleaders...

... and now I'm thinking maybe it doesn't.
By static14
#97323 @mateo only the European cut is in 4k (sadly without hdr) but it's still pretty darn nice :)
By Hatter313
#97325 So, the ray Bradbury theater is on amazon prime, at least the first 4 seasons are....I'm a sucker for 80s/90s anthology TV and this is some of the best there was, with outrageous guest stars. Been watching a few of them every night before bed. Also that main theme is terrific little mood piece.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:@mateo only the European cut is in 4k (sadly without hdr) but it's still pretty darn nice :)

Oh, that'll do nicely.
Hatter313 wrote:So, the ray Bradbury theater is on amazon prime, at least the first 4 seasons are....I'm a sucker for 80s/90s anthology TV and this is some of the best there was, with outrageous guest stars. Been watching a few of them every night before bed. Also that main theme is terrific little mood piece.

Thanks, Hatter! I have never seen this and always wanted to. I'm a sucker for an anthology myself and soon the nip of Fall will be in the air.
By Hatter313
#97332 Mateo, fair warning. The moment you start this you will be over summer and in full fall mode. I was planning beach trips and seeing how much sun I could squeeze into the few remaining weeks, but two or three episodes in and I was planning Halloween decorations and wondering when I could break out the flannel and the denim jacket.
By deafmetal
#97333 @Hatter - Nice recommendation, already feeling those vibes here after a single day of cool wind and rain. At least it blew all the smoke away for a minute, but I don't think we are through it all just yet...
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Hatter - Nice recommendation, already feeling those vibes here after a single day of cool wind and rain. At least it blew all the smoke away for a minute, but I don't think we are through it all just yet...

Agreed on all counts. 72ºF up here today. With blue skies and a breeze. That and the arrival of Creepshow 2 left me dreaming of Autumn. That said, it ain't over yet. I still have a coastal vacation planned. Maybe I'll save the anthologies for after Labor Day after all...
By Dollarhyde
#97340 @Hatter

I've not heard of the Ray Bradbury theatre but being a twilight zone fan I'm thinking I would love it, I'm guessing it's only US amazon though. However I still need to find out more :) I see its a product of the mid 80's.

@static
I think now is the time to upgrade my DOTD dvd :0
By ScoJo
#97375 @J.R. -

Great stuff, about to embark on my own odyssey of cheesed glory - the greatest sharks movie (please note the semantic/pluralisation clause) ever made.....

deep-blue-sea-cinema-one-sheet-movie-poster-(1).jpg
By Bezulsqy
#97378 @ScoJo: enjoy your Sharks!

Just got back from an 11am screening of Dunkirk. It was only me and my girlfriends son in the theater. It felt very special.
Fantastic film. For some reason I felt quite emotional by the end. All those young boys. The panic. The hopelessness of it all. Very well made movie. The score was highly effective. It sounded like a heartbeat going faster and faster during the first half. Kept you on your toes. No rest at all at any point.
Definitely one to see in the theater in stead of at home to get the right atmosphere.
Fucking war.
By deafmetal
#97382 @ScoJo - I also worship at the altar of Deep Blue Sea. I caught the original theatrical run of that.. *cough* gem, as it triggered my death-by-sharks/death-at-sea obsession. The collective "guffaw" from the crowd at the first kill was quite satisfying.

@Bez - Now a polar opposite appreciation for Dunkirk. I felt very similar to your experience, as you probably read. Looking forward to another viewing of the film, although somewhat dreading the anxiety as well.
By Mateo Sanboval
#97383 While I have not seen Dunkirk I thoroughly enjoyed The 6th Day and Deep Blue Sea. Both of which I saw in the theater as well.
By J.R.
#97406 Deep Blue Sea was awesome: I remember seeing it and thinking how amazing it was.

I finally watched Alien Covenant and enjoyed it, though I still find Katherine Waterston somewhat flat. Im not sure if its the roles she chooses or if the characters around her characters are interesting which makes hers seem a little ... boring? I found her to be exactly the same in Fantastic Beasts, though I thought it was an affectation of the character.

I do celebrate that even when her character was kicking arse, she maintained her femininity, unlike a lot of female scifi heroes who turn into male archetypes as soon as the third act kicks in... i call it The Ripley Effect.

I now have the extended and extras laden Future Shock doc to watch. The Australian DVD release was bare bones and this Arrow has more extras than you could poke a Strontium Dog at.

Oh and I watched this Tested video about Jack White's record plant again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF4A4wdnXkU
By zuko
J.R. wrote: I still find Katherine Waterston somewhat flat. Im not sure if its the roles she chooses or if the characters around her characters are interesting which makes hers seem a little ... boring? I found her to be exactly the same in Fantastic Beasts, though I thought it was an affectation of the character.

The only thing I've seen her in is Inherent Vice, which she's great in. Everyone in that movie is stoned out of their boxes, so maybe that's her perfect role?
By J.R.
zuko wrote:
J.R. wrote: I still find Katherine Waterston somewhat flat. Im not sure if its the roles she chooses or if the characters around her characters are interesting which makes hers seem a little ... boring? I found her to be exactly the same in Fantastic Beasts, though I thought it was an affectation of the character.

The only thing I've seen her in is Inherent Vice, which she's great in. Everyone in that movie is stoned out of their boxes, so maybe that's her perfect role?

Ouch!