A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
#93828 Actually just grabbed tickets for a show tomorrow night at my local Alamo, psyched to see it!
By monsterworship
#93863 Has anyone watched "Eyes of My Mother"?
one of the films that waxwork has mentioned they are doing the soundtrack for?

total miss for me. a slow burn without the burn.

it is currently on Netflix if you want to check it out for your self.

regarding the music: there was one great cue that was synthy but the rest was sparse.
By NathanLurker
#93870 I loved "The Eyes of my Mother" ! Saw it at the Fantasia Film Festival, last summer in Montreal, it's one of my top films of the festival that year, along with "The Wailing", "Under the Skin" and "We are the Flesh". The blu Ray came out last month and I bought it right away. It's got this great gothic rural noir quality and is alternately disturbing and tender. I have not rewatched it yet but plan on doing so soon. I cant say I remember the soundtrack too much but I remember thinking that it worked well with the scenes and that I d like to give it a listen. I'll try to focus on it on my next watch
By deafmetal
#93931 Re: The Void

It's screening here in Portland this weekend, and I will try to catch it in the theater. Really hoping it works out, as I have been looking forward to it for a long time now. Also, I see they are screening The Burbs on Saturday night with Joe Dante attending for a Q&A. It all would make for an interesting night out, haha.
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote:Re: The Void

It's screening here in Portland this weekend, and I will try to catch it in the theater. Really hoping it works out, as I have been looking forward to it for a long time now. Also, I see they are screening The Burbs on Saturday night with Joe Dante attending for a Q&A. It all would make for an interesting night out, haha.

Honestly, I really loved it. great creature effects, shades of From Beyond, The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13, Hellraiser and more. I thought it was extremely well done for such a small independent affair. can't say enough good things about it really, which may be a higher review than others have given it, but i was super jazzed about it the whole time.

Also...I watched Phantasm: Ravager now that the nice complete box set has arrived....There is no objective excuse for me to enjoyed it as much as I did. it is without a doubt one of the cheapest affairs i've seen in a long time, and while these movies have always operated on a level of nightmare logic, this one just ran with that to an almost laughable degree. the acting from all new players was dry and stiff, the audio unprocessed, the effects were the worst type of bad CGI...

but also for an hour and twenty five minutes Reggie, Mike, and the Tall Man duked it out, and I didn't stop smiling the whole time, so what do I know.

Its probably the worst movie I've ever liked.
By Dollarhyde
#94021 Dracula, Sovereign of the Dammed

This is the anime with the awesome seiji Yokoyama OST.
You can see why it was a flop, it didnt quite work ;) not helped by some of the worst dubbing I have ever heard on an anime
Skip to 27:30 for a taste of the ridiculousness of this movie :D it's actually a fun watch being so bad.

If you can dig that then check out the Frankenstein anime, even more hilarious and this one I think takes the title for worst dub ever. Im after the OST for this one though, by none other than Kentaro Haneda ;)
By J.R.
#94039 I just watched something called Don't Knock Twice. It tries SOOOOO hard to be good and almost achieves it, but ultimately fails. I watched it with a double feature with The Darkness with Kevin Bacon which is a generic post-millennial ghost story. I was more disappointed by this as it is directed by Greg McClean and written by the guys who wrote Acolytes.

Also as part of my Easter Parade on my website, I did three Easter films: Critters 2, Bunny the Killer Thing and Return of the Living Dead 3.
By Hatter313
J.R. wrote:I just watched something called Don't Knock Twice. It tries SOOOOO hard to be good and almost achieves it, but ultimately fails. I watched it with a double feature with The Darkness with Kevin Bacon which is a generic post-millennial ghost story. I was more disappointed by this as it is directed by Greg McClean and written by the guys who wrote Acolytes.

Also as part of my Easter Parade on my website, I did three Easter films: Critters 2, Bunny the Killer Thing and Return of the Living Dead 3.

So I've got a buddy who says he likes horror movies, but he doesn't really mean the same thing we mean. I've taken to describing his taste as "generic modern ghosts thrillers" but I'm adjusting that to "post-millennial ghost story" because that hits the nail on the head exactly
By J.R.
#94076 Its how I describe them on my website. My wife doesn't like horror but will watch all those mainstream ghost stuff 'with me'. I say 'with me' as I don't like them, but I'm hoping they'll be a gateway drug to Reanimator, and other GOOD horror.

My chances are slim though...
By deafmetal
#94078 @Hatter/@JR - I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend will watch any random post-millennial ghost story (natch), but if I utter the words "gore", or "70'/80's scifi/horror", then she's out. This is why I missed The Void last weekend, and will now have to watch it alone when I get a chance.

Also, "post-millennial ghost story" is so accurate it's almost spooky.
By J.R.
#94093 Sounds like my legacy will be my description of dumb ghost movies.

Great.

I did get my Mum to watch Cannibal Holocaust about 3 years ago, and she said ' what a well made film about the horrors of civilization.'

I asked,' will you watch it again?'

Her reply?

' HELL no!'
By Hatter313
#94095 ugh, well at least it sounds as if those in your life are honest about what they like and don't like.

I've taken to ignoring him when he says he likes horror movies, especially when he goes on his "i don't really like slashers or any of that 80's stuff" kick. I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T LIKE HORROR MOVIES, JUST STOP SAYING YOU DO.

And I won't even begin to try and make him watch euro-horror.
By ScoJo
#94096 My gf won't watch ANY type of horror film, full stop. She's the most 'no THANKS!' person I have ever met, when it comes to horror. She actually gets scared by some detective dramas, CSI-type stuff, that's the limit for her!

Memorable cinema outings (that she went to because they're not explicitly billed as 'horror' films) which left her completely traumatized: Inland Empire and Shutter Island!
By Mateo Sanboval
#94097 I have a good friend who is married to a lovely lady with similar tastes, ScoJ. She won't abide thrills of any sort; let alone chills. The sad irony is, while he is a massive Carpenter fan, he doesn't have particularly extreme taste. Poor bastard can barely get his pauline to attempt Jurassic Park.
By Hatter313
#94100 To be fair, I was pretty traumatized by inland empire too...not because it was too upsetting or anything, but because it was a train wreck.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:To be fair, I was pretty traumatized by inland empire too...not because it was too upsetting or anything, but because it was a train wreck.

Yep, that one hurt my feelings. especially when I watched it for a second time years later.
By ScoJo
#94102 When Lynch hung up his 35mm cameras (indeed, when he did away with the need for a DOP and started just shooting himself with a domestic camcorder) I can't deny that a little bit of me died. Inland was a pretty intense experience in the cinema, but I have to confess I have had zero interest in revisiting.
By J.R.
#94103 If I may be so bold, and if doing don't like it, o,ease delete this post and accept my apologies, but here is my review for a... you guessed it... post-millennial ghost story, though from director Greg McClean I expect so much more... and from the writer of Acolytes! https://towatchpile.com/2017/04/20/the- ... 15-review/
By static14
#94104 Watching Ghost Watch on Shudder on my ipad, and for some reason the subs are turned on and wont turn off. Well I tried to take a screenshot (home button / power) and this is what I got. Creepy as hell :)

I'm guessing the Shudder app has some kind of copy protection that doesnt allow screengrabs but the fact that the subs were captured and that that was the line gave me the heebie jeebies. :)
By J.R.
#94105 That is actually a really creepy screenshot when you read the caption and with no context! What's in the machine? Will it hurt? What machine?
By static14
#94109 @mateo yes. I'd never seen it before. Pretty fun watch.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:@mateo yes. I'd never seen it before. Pretty fun watch.

Nor I. I may have to cross it off the list.
By ScoJo
#94342 Day off, going to Liverpool later to see preview of Mindhorn with Q+A
Gf is out so slotting in a horror double bill, just done Creepshow. Next up:

image.jpeg

Loooove Brad Fiedel's creepy electro/string score on this one.