A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
zuko wrote:Speaking of Hartnett-hair, shout out to Blow Dry, a late-90s ‘comedy’ based around a hairdressing competition featuring our Josh’s mindboggling attempt at a Yorkshire accent.

Josh Hairnet. That should be a thing.
By Hatter313
#110264 It’s....hammer time

EE3C2324-9181-4AF5-8DB6-1E1AF1396219.jpeg
By Mateo Sanboval
#110267 Hey, y'know what movie's cool? LIGHT SLEEPER (1992). I think I'm gonna go watch it now.
By zuko
#110286 Off work today with man lurgy so having a bit of an Amazon Prime session:

By inksb
#110289 I miss my vacation movie watching...

Watched the first half of this before the sandman got me last night.

I find the Carrie fighting Jason aspect super absurd but kind of enjoy it. I'll be finishing it tonight.
By static14
#110296 @inksb part VII is my favorite. :) it’s just a ton of fun, and my favorite looking Jason.
By ScoJo
zuko wrote:Off work today with man lurgy so having a bit of an Amazon Prime session:

Oh daaamn son!

Crushing double bill.
By zuko
deafmetal wrote:@zuko - interesting mix of films there...

ScoJo wrote:Oh daaamn son!

Crushing double bill.

Yeah… I finished Harold & Maude then when I was flicking through what is on Prime at the moment I thought it would make an amusing double bill.

It's been a while since I last saw it though, and to be honest it's one of my less favourite Kubricks. I find Peter Sellers’ shtick pretty overindulgent in this, and out-of-place in a way that it’s not in, for example, Strangelove.
By Mateo Sanboval
#110313 Did the Halloween (1978) thing this afternoon. I can't say for certain, but if this upcoming sequel does alright, the franchise could have legs.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Did the Halloween (1978) thing this afternoon. I can't say for certain, but if this upcoming sequel does alright, the franchise could have legs.

I had an enjoyable viewing at Mondocon two years ago. Hopeful for the new film.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Did the Halloween (1978) thing this afternoon. I can't say for certain, but if this upcoming sequel does alright, the franchise could have legs.

I had an enjoyable viewing at Mondocon two years ago. Hopeful for the new film.

This was my fifth time seeing it in the theater. It's such an incredible film. Even saying that, I think I underrate it.
By Hatter313
#110328 That mondocon screening was my first time on the big screen, the print was so red I could barely make anything out and it was still unbelievably perfect.

Seeing it again in theaters next Tuesday a few days before the new one, can’t wait.

We are supposed to be getting some pretty bad storms up here tonight, but if it holds out I’m supposed to go to a double feature of Frankenstein and bride of Frankenstein this evening, never seen them on the big screen so I hope it all holds out!
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:That mondocon screening was my first time on the big screen, the print was so red I could barely make anything out and it was still unbelievably perfect.

Seeing it again in theaters next Tuesday a few days before the new one, can’t wait.

We are supposed to be getting some pretty bad storms up here tonight, but if it holds out I’m supposed to go to a double feature of Frankenstein and bride of Frankenstein this evening, never seen them on the big screen so I hope it all holds out!

Good speed, sir - what a night at the pictures!!
By Hatter313
#110344 I’m stoked, the nice part is those movies are so short it’ll feel like one decent length feature.

My Alamo has been killing it lately, last Saturday was abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein, next week is Halloween, then the new Halloween, followed by the shining, then the 4K fog remaster. There’s a ton of other stuff I just don’t have time for, the 4K remaster of the changeling is playing Halloween night as is witchfinder general, but I’m not sure I can make those just yet.
By deafmetal
Hatter313 wrote:last Saturday was abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein

Awesome, I love the A&C meet monsters films. My local arthouse has more than I could even attempt to bite off right now: Halloween '78 tonight, Summer of '84 friday, Evil Dead 2 saturday, Curse of the Demon sunday, Lost Boys monday, Prince of Darkness with Alan Howarth next Thursday along with Halloween '18 on another screen, Bubba Ho-Tep with Coscarelli next Friday, Pieces on the 23rd, The Fog/Scream Blacula Scream double-feature on the 26th, Phantom of the Opera 1925 silent film with live pipe organ score on the 27th.... fucking hell!
By static14
#110347 Evil Dead, Halloween, and just finished up Halloween II

By Mateo Sanboval
#110355 @Hatter - I'm going to the shining as well, but The Fog? Sign me up. That is not playing near me.

@Deaf - And POD w/Howarth is going to be nuts. Full blooded envy up here.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:@Hatter - I'm going to the shining as well, but The Fog? Sign me up. That is not playing near me.

@Deaf - And POD w/Howarth is going to be nuts. Full blooded envy up here.

Yeah I’m super excited for that, one of the major carpenters I haven’t seen on the big screen yet, excited to see the new restoration.

The shining was the first film my local Alamo showed the day they opened. I was naive enough to think that my friends and I could just show up and that no one in suburban NY would know what the Alamo was....boy was I wrong. So three plus years later I’ll finally get to see it there haha.
By Mateo Sanboval
#110364 Alright. It's been brought to my attention in another thread, and become painfully obvious in my brick and mortar life, that I am way behind on modern horror. Way behind. So I need recommends from my trusted STBC Brethren. Anything from the last ten years. Gore/torture-centric cinema is not of much interest, but I won't shy away if the film is particularly good. I love atmosphere and photography/framing. I generally believe in the less-is-more theory. Shaky cam need not apply unless, like gore/torture, it is a can't miss picture. I've seen and enjoyed It Follows, Let The Right One In, They Look Like People, The Void, and A Dark Song. I'm sure there have been others, but I've skipped a lot due to a perhaps unfair assumption about failure rate. I'm going to fill my remaining October movie days with modern flicks and I'm counting on your help. Please, fire at will.
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hatter313
#110366 Indie stuff:

I loved the void, old school creature feature, heavy on the carpenter, heavy on the hellraiser

Liked summer of ‘84 a lot, especially the last act

The black coats daughter was an exceptional slow burn, even slower a burn would be his Netflix film “I am the pretty thing that lives in the house”

One assumes you’re next and the guest have been taken care of, but if not....rectify immediately

John does at the end was fun but low budget, coscarelli can’t get the money I guess

Get out, The babadook, the witch, and hereditary are all genre darlings of recent years obviously.

Speaking of which, darling was a fun flick as well

A girl walks home alone at night is super interesting and well done from every aspect, but it’s a slow night out

On the mainstream side I really love James Wan. I think both insidious movies are a lot of fun, third act of the first one doesn’t do it for a lot of people but I like it fine. And frankly I feel that the conjuring is the finest classic haunted house movie since poltergeist. If it’s gorgeous photography and atmosphere you are looking for, hes got it. Jump cuts are par for the course, but well done and frankly...it’s horror.

The del toro produced remake of DONT be afraid of the dark was a nice atmospheric throwback, same can be said of the revived hammer production of the woman in black.

Cabin in the woods is a treat for genre fans

The evil dead remake is genuinely excellent (but mightily gory)

There’s more for sure, but I’d say any of the above I can recommend pretty strongly
By Mateo Sanboval
#110367 Thank you, Hatter. These are some good, comprehensive picks. Loved Get Out though I always thought of it as a thriller. I saw The Void and enjoyed it. Saw Evil Dead and thought it was competent but not good enough to remember (the gore was fine in that setting). Saw Insidious, found some moments stunning and genuinely frightening, and other moments...not so much. The others are unseen by me so thanks for the reminders. Keep 'em coming, Gang!
By deafmetal
#110372 @Mateo - my tastes lean toward the absurd/bizarre with bonus points for comedy or scifi elements:

- Antichrist (bizarre and just creepy af)
- Black Swan (this should count as horror)
- Cabin in the Woods (as @Hatter said, a love letter to genre fans)
- Drag Me To Hell (pure gold)
- Paranormal Activity (just the first one, I don't remember much shakycam, but some good moments)
- The Girl with All the Gifts (not my favorite, but a solid effort with an interesting premise)
- The House of the Devil (throwback 80's satanic horror worship)
- The Neon Demon (does this count? I enjoyed it as a piece of horror art)
- The Ritual (could have been better, but bonus points for the creature design)
- Troll Hunter (yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes)
- Under The Skin (as if I didn't love ScarJo enough already... ffs)

on my watch list:
- A Quiet Place
- Berberian Sound Studio
- Green Room
- It
- It Follows
- Kill List
- The VVitch
- The Human Centipede (lol, I must know)
- You're Next
By inksb
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - my tastes lean toward the absurd/bizarre with bonus points for comedy or scifi elements:

- Antichrist (bizarre and just creepy af)
- Black Swan (this should count as horror)
- Cabin in the Woods (as @Hatter said, a love letter to genre fans)
- Drag Me To Hell (pure gold)
- Paranormal Activity (just the first one, I don't remember much shakycam, but some good moments)
- The Girl with All the Gifts (not my favorite, but a solid effort with an interesting premise)
- The House of the Devil (throwback 80's satanic horror worship)
- The Neon Demon (does this count? I enjoyed it as a piece of horror art)
- The Ritual (could have been better, but bonus points for the creature design)
- Troll Hunter (yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes)
- Under The Skin (as if I didn't love ScarJo enough already... ffs)

on my watch list:
- A Quiet Place
- Berberian Sound Studio
- Green Room
- It
- It Follows
- Kill List
- The VVitch
- The Human Centipede (lol, I must know)
- You're Next

Well Mateo you have some work cut out for you. As discussed in the other thread you should watch The Blackcoat's Daughter, Darling and The Invitation. I can get behind almost everything that Deafmetal suggested. Kill List has a very Wickerman vibe to it. The Witch was excellent. The Human Centipede is not good in my opinion but it's worth watching as it's fucking crazy, don't bother with the sequels though. Green Room is one of the most stressful and nailbiting films I've ever seen.

I'll add some others that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Beyond the Gates (low budget Fulci vibes with the great Barbara Crampton)
I Saw the Devil (insane Korean serial killer film, incredible)
Don't Breathe (Fede Alverez, director of Evil Dead remake, second film)
Oculus (one of many Mike Flanagan films I'm going to recommend, about a haunted mirror)
Hush (Flanagan directed, a deaf woman is terrified in her home by some one trying to kill her, pretty inventive at times)
Ouija Origin of Evil (I expected this to be terrible but it's fun little flick, more Flanagan)
Geralds Game (King adaption by Flanagan, one of the most uncomfortable scenes ever)
The Wailing (another great Korean horror flick)
Train to Busan(more Korean goodness, I'm not a big modern day zombie fan but this one is an exception)
Bone Tomahawk (horror western with Kurt Russel rocking his incredible mustache)
The Innkeepers (a nice genuinely creepy haunted hotel flick by the director of House of the Devil)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (an incredible first 2/3 of a film that is slightly marred by a weaker final act, worth checking out)
Coldfish (crazy film by Sion Sono, his films are always worth a watch. Check out Why Dont you Play in Hell? as well)
Starry Eyes (a disturbing look at the effects that the desire to be famous can have on some one)
Tales of Halloween (a great anthology)
Mayhem (Joe Lynch's office bloodbath film)
Victor Crowley (Hatchet 4, if you like the Hatchet films you'll love this, if you haven't seen the Hatchet films, check out 1 & 2)
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil (one of the best horror comedies of the last few decades)
What We Do In the Shadows (the best horror comedy of the last few decades)
The Sacrament (kind of found footage but actually shot as a documentary, a fictional retelling of the Jim Jones mass suicide)
We Are What We Are (2010 remake of the Spanish film of the same name, creepy cannibal film)
The Guest (more of an action film but still recommended, killer soundtrack too)

I'll leave it at that. Good luck and let us know what you end up watching.