A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

User avatar
By ScoJo
#102626
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Saw Three Billboards on Friday. Big "meh" from me. Really loved In Bruges so my expectations were pretty high. As a resident of Missourah and native Southerner, it was hard to stomach the liberal use of my favorite British cuss word.

Music was good. Nice use of a Jim James/My Morning Jacket tune.

Carry on, cunts.


100% feeling what you're throwing down, JM. It's gonna go home with a tidy pile of awards too, and will be looked back on as fondly as Crash imho.

Cunts!
User avatar
By Bezulsqy
#102863 I'm going for my 7th spaghetti western of the year: Sergio Sollima's Faccia a faccia. His second western after the brilliant The Big Gundown.

Image

On another note: can someone tell me how the Cloverfield Paradox is? It got a destroying review in a Dutch newspaper.
By skeletonbutt
#102864
Bezulsqy wrote:I'm going for my 7th spaghetti western of the year: Sergio Sollima's Faccia a faccia. His second western after the brilliant The Big Gundown.

Image

On another note: can someone tell me how the Cloverfield Paradox is? It got a destroying review in a Dutch newspaper.


I'm going to check this out, thanks. I love TBG.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102865 Cloverfield Paradox is pretty solid fun, there's lots to enjoy although it's basically got pretty awful expository dialogue and the characters are sooooo thin....but that hardly distinguishes/denigrates it beneath MOST b-movie science fiction/horror flicks these days?

What's cool about it is the generally high production and fx value, which is a surprise when you go into it with basically a made-for-TV or straight-to-video mindset...which is what we do when it's this kind of Netflix original right? Without being snobby about such things (I friggin love flawed B-movie Sci Fi!) I enjoyed it and watched a second time (not as good...) It does have a bunch of cool ideas/scenes/images, which puts it right in line with the original Cloverfield in my book- marred by the same 'yeah but the characters are fucking annoying!'.

Fwiw...I put Cloverfield Lane way ahead of both tbh, as it was a really solid suspense thriller with INTERESTING characters/motivations, constantly shifting perspectives, surprising turns of events, but that just HAPPENED to turn into a science fiction film franchise-tie-in during the last reel. Which also worked for me. (I can see why it was problematic for others tho...)

Did you get at least some (if not quite a bit) of enjoyment out of Oblivion, Life, Alien: Covenant or (to a lesser extent) Passengers?

Then I'd say jump in!

If you hated most of those.....you can almost certainly afford to leave it alone. And just go re-watch Cherry 2000.

* When it comes to this genre, I pretty much agree with William Gibson (sorry, I've looked but can't find the exact quote):
"Even the worst B-movie Sci-Fi has at least one cool/great idea. Even Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone with Molly Ringwald has one great idea which makes it worth watching!"
User avatar
By Bezulsqy
#102866 Faccia a Faccia was really good. Great story.

@ScoJo: Thanks for the insights. I'll definitely will watch the paradox based on that. I love B-movies. Scifi or other.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102867
Bezulsqy wrote:Faccia a Faccia was really good. Great story.

@ScoJo: Thanks for the insights. I'll definitely will watch the paradox based on that. I love B-movies. Scifi or other.


Do it @Bez. Smoke a blunt beforehand. Or a blond beer (or two) of your choice. It can't hurt. Might help ;)
User avatar
By maxlevel
#102874 @scojo I like that quote! I’d develop it a little and say ‘any film is better than no film’. It pays to be open minded about film as a rule, there’s always something. After all, someone has loved the idea enough to pay for it to be made. And often, it’s usually in the making the best ideas get lost entirely(or become a total stroke of genius of course) . Bad performance, bad editing, director losing or winning a fight over a specific point. Actor getting hammered drunk every morning despite being a public teetotal, which means the director can’t really get a point across. I had a long chat with a producer before Christmas about modern editing cutting too fast for audiences, so where you once had a magical helicopter shot like the Shining opening, you would now just cut after a few seconds and bring the pace up, even though the footage was shot and all the money spent. You don’t get the lingering photography as much, even in films like Revenant where it’s all photography heavy. There’s a beautiful scene at the end of Wind River which is really what storytelling is about, very rare to do this style in this decade at least. And yet nobody’s seen the damn film. So even when the cream rises to the surface it’s possible nobody notices.

Anyway... Really enjoying altered carbon right now. My other half prefers it to bladerunner 2049. It moves very fast but the episode format does allow ideas to develop.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102878
maxlevel wrote:@scojo I like that quote! I’d develop it a little and say ‘any film is better than no film’. It pays to be open minded about film as a rule, there’s always something. After all, someone has loved the idea enough to pay for it to be made. And often, it’s usually in the making the best ideas get lost entirely(or become a total stroke of genius of course) . Bad performance, bad editing, director losing or winning a fight over a specific point. Actor getting hammered drunk every morning despite being a public teetotal, which means the director can’t really get a point across. I had a long chat with a producer before Christmas about modern editing cutting too fast for audiences, so where you once had a magical helicopter shot like the Shining opening, you would now just cut after a few seconds and bring the pace up, even though the footage was shot and all the money spent. You don’t get the lingering photography as much, even in films like Revenant where it’s all photography heavy. There’s a beautiful scene at the end of Wind River which is really what storytelling is about, very rare to do this style in this decade at least. And yet nobody’s seen the damn film. So even when the cream rises to the surface it’s possible nobody notices.

Anyway... Really enjoying altered carbon right now. My other half prefers it to bladerunner 2049. It moves very fast but the episode format does allow ideas to develop.


@max- love (and agree with) all of this.

Except...La La Land. A garbage film for garbage people.

(hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahha........)

*Thank god this is a safe space. Anywhere else online, I'd have already been ripped to fucking pieces, humourlessly, before I'd even posted that!!!

** And yet- I fucking meant it.

(hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahha........)
User avatar
By Bezulsqy
#102881 ^ a movie I will never see...
Every second I saw something about it on tv I felt what you described.
User avatar
By maxlevel
#102883 Fuck La La Land. I can’t trust a jazz film where no cunt smokes
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102886
maxlevel wrote:Fuck La La Land. I can’t trust a jazz film where no cunt smokes


^^^ THIS!!!
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102887
ScoJo wrote:
maxlevel wrote:Fuck La La Land. I can’t trust a jazz film where no cunt smokes


^^^ THIS!!!


Oh, and incidentally......"...a jazz film...."

Image
Image
User avatar
By Mateo Sanboval
#102898 La La Land. Give me a break. I'd sooner watch Titanic. Or Forrest Gump.
User avatar
By ScoJo
#102905
Mateo Sanboval wrote:La La Land. Give me a break. I'd sooner watch Titanic. Or Forrest Gump.


User avatar
By Mateo Sanboval
#102908
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:La La Land. Give me a break. I'd sooner watch Titanic. Or Forrest Gump.



FIne, I'll change it.

Mateo Sanboval wrote:La La Land. Give me a break. I'd sooner watch Titanic. Or Braveheart.
User avatar
By maxlevel
#102932 Cloverfield Paradox was ok! Glad I watched it. Very thin characters, perhaps missing some kind of space dog/pet, but generally not totally unwatchable and is fun.

However, I really didn’t need to see the stupid monster at the end. Talk about jazzhands. It was like peter boyle putting on the ritz in young frankenstien
User avatar
By ScoJo
#103020 Jean Rollin's THE IRON ROSE

image.jpeg


and I'm being continuously struck with how completely absurd it is that I've never seen this before.
User avatar
By Mateo Sanboval
#103037 So many flicks I've never seen getting posted up in here. Carry on! Here's my mid afternoon snack:
Image
User avatar
By ScoJo
#103078
image.jpeg


'I hope you signed up for action, gentlemen...cuz you're going to get it.'

Friggin love this film. And it's personal top tier all time Morricone for me. Just bury me to that cue when Ness finds Jimmy all shot to pieces :'(
User avatar
By ScoJo
#103082 Oh ok then- my drunken old man has just randomly decided to put on...

image.jpeg


The beginning is a very delicate time...
User avatar
By Mateo Sanboval
#103084
ScoJo wrote:Oh ok then- my drunken old man has just randomly decided to put on...

image.jpeg


The beginning is a very delicate time...

A fine idea.