A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
#101130 Y'all are leaving out Brian Thompson's most iconic role.

By Bezulsqy
#101139 @Mateo: nice ones!

I took a couple of days off work and today I am going to do nothing else but watch the tube and play some tunes...

First watching the last three episodes of Mindhunter...
By Bezulsqy
#101140 ^ It actually one was one more episode...

Now this:

Last edited by Bezulsqy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:^ It actually one was one more episode...

Now this:

Killer gif, @Bez. Dare I enquire what you made of this unique bit of early 70s ghoulishness?
By EvanCampbell
#101164 I had an obsession for a bit with Messiah of Evil. I thought it was ok at first but it kept growing on me over time. I have had similar experiences with films I eventually end up loving. I recall Martin, Deathdream and Messiah of Evil all gave me the same slow calling. I kind of shrugged my shoulders after first viewing thinking that was ok...but something about the subtle tones and haunted characters kept calling me to revisit them. All becoming some of my favorite films.
By ScoJo
EvanCampbell wrote:I had an obsession for a bit with Messiah of Evil. I thought it was ok at first but it kept growing on me over time. I have had similar experiences with films I eventually end up loving. I recall Martin, Deathdream and Messiah of Evil all gave me the same slow calling. I kind of shrugged my shoulders after first viewing thinking that was ok...but something about the subtle tones and haunted characters kept calling me to revisit them. All becoming some of my favorite films.

@Evan -

Couldn't agree more on those flicks.

For fans of MoE, all I can say is...........watch this space.

By Mateo Sanboval
#101170 Watching They Look Like People now in an otherwise pitch black room.

I may have to turn on the Christmas lights.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Watching They Look Like People now in an otherwise pitch black room.

What did you think? I liked it very much. Found it really refreshing.
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:Killer gif, @Bez. Dare I enquire what you made of this unique bit of early 70s ghoulishness?

To sum up: freaky interesting with some brilliance.
Loved the way the story is told. With the voice over.
Loved the look of the characters.
Brilliant electronic sounds.
Beautiful imagery.
Those painted walls.
Is he an albino?
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:
ScoJo wrote:Killer gif, @Bez. Dare I enquire what you made of this unique bit of early 70s ghoulishness?

To sum up: freaky interesting with some brilliance.
Loved the way the story is told. With the voice over.
Loved the look of the characters.
Brilliant electronic sounds.
Beautiful imagery.
Those painted walls.
Is he an albino?

All of this, yes!

And yep, Albert was an Afro-American albino that the filmmakers simply 'found' - not an actor.

:-)
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Watching They Look Like People now in an otherwise pitch black room.

What did you think? I liked it very much. Found it really refreshing.

Yeah, it was quite good. Refreshing is a great word for it. A unique take on its subject matter. Not sure it holds a lot of re-watch value for me, but I will recommend it heartily. I found it incredibly tense and the film, which is admittedly on the shorter side at eighty minutes, absolutely flew by.
By Mateo Sanboval
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Saw Rare Exports on New Years Eve 2010 with my Folks and (the then future) Mrs Sanboval. The next year it became our third Blu Ray purchase (after the Blade Runner box set and the Neil Young Archives). It, along with Die Hard, is the only Christmas movie I watch every year without fail. Personally, I don't think it gets much better than that.

Not a film, but I'd be derelict in my duties not to mention that we watch AD/BC every Holiday season without reservation. Usually after a bit of a tipple. So several times.
By Hatter313
#101193 Did we all forget Black Christmas?

Also, i'm plugging "DarK" on netflix again. its really good.
By ScoJo
#101195 I love all these Xmas movie picks, especially Scrooged which is a perenial seasonal ritual for my peeps.
But guys, for me personally, if it had to be just one Christmas flick to rule them all?

It's gotta be Gremlins man, every time.

For a million reasons, not least of which is that it was li'l SJs intro to 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)'/Spector, and the start of my thirst for girl pop. Heady stuff!

I even wrote a sequel to the Darlene Love classic, entitled 'Its Boxing Day Baby (Where The Fuck Were You?')

;-)
Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
#101196 Kidding aside, I did actually write and record a Spector-style Xmas song a few years ago.....heavily indebted to Mr Jack Nitzsche, my music guru.
I might dig it out and post a link here if you wannit?
By Hatter313
#101201 i want it, those are the best Christmas songs.

and for some reason my entire group of friends was quoting Scrooged all summer and now that the season is here...not a peep. although while watching the George C Scott Christmas carol after Thanksgiving all i could think of when Marley showed up was "This office is closed, this whole wing is closed"
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:while watching the George C Scott Christmas carol after Thanksgiving all i could think of when Marley showed up was "This office is closed, this whole wing is closed"

Gold.
By ScoJo
#101204 Okay then...

My Xmas gift to STBC.....

I made this for my GFs 30th birthday, with some help from my friends (as they say).

Multiple instruments by yrs truly, vocals by Kate from local band Kate Goes, recorded by Grandmaster Gareth during a massive snowstorm here in the Midlands - I have the fondest memories of this session for that reason, and working on it with talented friends who gave their time. Lovely strings, multi tracked for maximum Wall-Of-Soundness by Natalie Mason. Sax by the delightful Lucy Baines. Drums by Sam Minnear. All musicians connected with the band Misty's Big Adventure. Only thing I'm not so happy with is the radio announcer middle-8, but it's the best I could do in the time I had - you can tell he ain't a real yank though ;)

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johannsson/thescoopitones
By static14
#101205 @scojo fantastic song! Real Ronettes vibe.

I'll be sure to be extra core-scious this winter ;)