General tape / cassette talk here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:Mateo: great stack of tapes you got yourself there! I have no idea what kind of music they contain (most of them anyway) but they look damn fine.

Mostly ambient, electronic, and sound collages. All with the requisite amount of bleeps and bloops. No more no less. I run a union shop over here.
By maxlevel
#100896 Today’s arrivals... and I have to say this new nak b100e is hands down the best deck I’ve ever owned. It constantly surprises me, I didn’t think tapes were capable of such detail in a mid range setup. Far far better than anything really, I think I may have moved into a new level. Anyhoo
Attachments
7D0E1757-C2B4-45F7-A0A6-8E2406429E01.jpeg
By Spun out of control
#100921 Epic shot @deaf - like the monolithic proportions... thanks for the share!

Whereas some electronic music only really comes alive for me at certain time of the day (chiefly the wee small hours), Maine's hypnotic analogue synth-ery is something you can listen to day or night. Hopefully we'll hear more from him soon.
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:Can you chaps recommend me tangerine dream soundtracks please? I’ve become addicted to Sorcerer, in particular the later half of side a.

Well, Sorcerer and Thief are the gold standards, but I'm also a big fan of the Haslinger era and love the scores to Miracle Mile and Shy People which are from that period. There are loads to choose from. Also, don't sleep on Le Parc which isn't a soundtrack album, per se, but does contain a couple of cuts composed for tv and film.

I'm eager to hear from our fellow STBCers on this as well.
By static14
maxlevel wrote:Can you chaps recommend me tangerine dream soundtracks please? I’ve become addicted to Sorcerer, in particular the later half of side a.

Miracle Mile
Legend
Near Dark
Flashpoint
Heartbreakers
Shy People
Three O'Clock High
Fire starter

Just for starters :)
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:

Miracle Mile
Legend
Near Dark
Flashpoint
Heartbreakers
Shy People
Three O'Clock High
Fire starter

There're two on there I've never heard before.
By ScoJo

As you're digging the dense, heavy grind of Sorcerer you might wanna check out some of their lps from around that period @max - RICOCHET, STRATOSFEAR, FORCE MAJEURE, EXIT, WHITE EAGLE.

THE KEEP is essential, and bears some resemblance to parts of SORCERER.

You should definitely get on over to YouTube, there's a ton of TD over there inc. soundtracks (many unreleased). I love THE PARK IS MINE.

As for soundtracks that haven't been mentioned yet - RISKY BUSINESS is just killer, and I'm very fond of WAVELENGTH.

I'm having the theme from STREET HAWK played at my funeral.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
static14 wrote:

Miracle Mile
Legend
Near Dark
Flashpoint
Heartbreakers
Shy People
Three O'Clock High
Fire starter

Flashpoint and Heartbreakers?

Both pretty damn wonderful mang. Both relatively easy to find/cheapish on wax too.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
static14 wrote:Miracle Mile
Legend
Near Dark
Flashpoint
Heartbreakers
Shy People
Three O'Clock High
Fire starter

Flashpoint and Heartbreakers?

Both pretty damn wonderful mang. Both relatively easy to find/cheapish on wax too.

Close! Heartbreakers and Three O'clock High. I was just having a look at TD scores the other day, including unreleased, and there are so many. I forget how voluminous their output was. Completely agree on The Keep. I have an -ahem- unofficial release that is three discs long.
By ScoJo
#101035 At one point, after I left the DFC, we talked about me coming back to do a one-off TD special. Never quite happened.

But every time there's a conversation like this going on here, I always think 'dang, i should just go ahead and do that myself!'

Im sure some folks around here would dig it anyway.
By ScoJo
#101048 Still on topic...just found this on YouTube. Sweet bongo of the Congo!

This is the gut sheisse, meine freunder!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8pbGz7E8c

EDIT: although annoyingly, just realised the sound is from RICOCHET and not the actual concert which was apparently lost by the BBC?! Anyway, the footage is still pretty rad.
By Hatter313
#101053 <Pokes head into not often visited cassette thread, sees TD discussion, checks to make sure someone mentioned The Keep, moves along>